Why Choose Origami?
We’re an all-in-one accounting service
Bookkeeping, goal setting, reporting, and CPA tax for Canadian small business owners who want to build and grow successful companies.
Each month, your Origami Staff Accountant will ensure your transactions are recorded and categorized, and your books are up to date.
We'll help you set clear financial targets. Track your performance monthly. Know where your finances are going.
Your Origami CPA will do your yearly tax planning and prepare and file your corporate tax return. This is included in the monthly fee.
How It Works
It's about setting clear financial targets for success
Small businesses succeed by taking more and more of the right steps, one step at a time.
- We get to know your business. We make sure you understand your financial statements and how they link to your goals.
Set clear financial targets
- We help you take stock of where you’re at and where you want to go, and we help you set targets for the key financial numbers.
Track your performance and focus
- Each month, you’ll receive the Origami Scorecard which tells you if you're moving toward your goals — and where to focus if you're not.
Frequently asked questions
- I’m behind on my bookkeeping. Can you help me get caught up to date?
- Absolutely. The fact is most clients need us to do at least some catch up work to get their books up to date. We determine the scope of your catch up work (bookkeeping and prior year tax filing) during the onboarding process. And we’ll give you a flat fee quote to complete the work. Catch up work is still priced per month, but our catch up fees are discounted from our regular monthly fees.
- I’m way behind. Is Origami still a good fit?
- We cannot take on more than 5 years (60 months) of catch up work per new client. Most of our bookkeeping team is assigned to regular monthly work so we have to be careful in managing the workload in our catch up queue. Although we’d be happy to work with you once you’re caught up, if you have more than 5 years of catch up work, Origami, unfortunately, wouldn’t be a good fit.
- I’m in the middle of my fiscal year. Can I switch to Origami from my current provider?
- If you’re more than 9 months into your fiscal year, and your current provider has already done the bookkeeping work for those months, then we recommend that you finish the year with your current provider and start with Origami for your new fiscal year. If you want us to take over the bookkeeping from another service provider in the middle of your fiscal year, we’d need to review the file to identify issues that need to be addressed before we can start. We will also need to charge a minimum fee to cover the year end filing if you are more than half way into your fiscal year.
- What bookkeeping software do you use?
- We work exclusively with QuickBooks Online (QBO). If you’re currently using another system (Xero, Wave, etc.), we’ll handle getting you set up on QBO. If you have a requirement to use something other than QBO for your bookkeeping, then, unfortunately, we wouldn’t be a good fit for your needs.
- I’ve been doing bookkeeping in QuickBooks Online. I’m up to date. Can you simply take over?
- Yes. But before starting our monthly service, we’ll review your existing QBO file to make sure it’s up to our bookkeeping standards. If for any reason there are issues with the file, we’ll send you a detailed list of what needs to be fixed. Alternatively, we could fix or redo the bookkeeping for you depending on what state it’s in. We would tell you up front if we need to charge additional fees for this fix-up work.
- Can you pay my bills for me?
- Unfortunately, we’re unable to take on AR/AP management. We don’t have dedicated staff to handle this work, and it would go against best practices to assign it to our Staff Accountants. To ensure adequate financial controls, the person recording the transaction should be distinct from the person generating the transaction.
- Do you work with not-for-profits?
- Not-for-profits require a specific set of financial reporting that just isn’t our forte. You’ll be better off finding a firm who specializes in what you do, and we’re sorry to say in this case that just isn’t us.
- Are there businesses that wouldn’t be a good fit for your service?
- We currently serve federally incorporated businesses and businesses incorporated in Alberta, B.C., Ontario, or Saskatchewan. We don’t serve not-for-profit corporations, sole proprietors, condo corporations, or law firms or real estate firms that require trust accounting. If you’re looking for more support, e.g., AR/AP, payroll, controller support, or more frequent bookkeeping, our sister company Clerk may be able to help. We focus strictly on monthly bookkeeping, monthly financial statements, and corporate tax and sales tax preparation and filing.
Small Business 101
Essential skills and knowledge for small business owners
Each week, we post ideas, tips, advice, and stories to help Canadian small business owners succeed in their business.
Why You Need a Small Business Accountant
- CPAs provide 3 basic and increasingly valuable services to small business owners. Corporate tax returns are just the first.
4 Reasons Why You Need a Small Business Bookkeeper
- You only have so much time, patience, and determination in any given day. Do you want to spend it learning bookkeeping or building a successful business?
You Want to Build a Better Business
- You started a small business so you and your family could be financially better off. If you're already there, congratulations! If you're not, Origami can help you get there.
What our clients have to say
We come to work every day committed to helping our clients succeed
When I incorporated, it just made complete sense to go with Origami. You have enough to worry about with all the other things in the business.
I lost a couple of years trying to get a handle on my bookkeeping and accounting. It’s really nice to have it figured out. And no surprise bills.
With Origami, I can see and know everything about my financials as I go. So I can just focus on my business and do the things I know how to do.
Going with Origami Accounting was one of the best choices we've made as a company to date. If you are a small business in Edmonton and beyond, I recommend Origami Accounting!
Our accountant is very knowledgeable, and our bookkeeper is diligent and easy to deal with. Since switching to Origami, I rest easy knowing my business financials are in good hands.
Absolutely without a doubt the most helpful, straightforward and accommodating accounting firm I have ever had the pleasure to work with.
We know that it’s in good hands, it’s accurate, and we can show investors exactly how this whole thing works and how it’s going to make money.
When Origami Accounting was introduced to me, I was impressed with their business model, their pricing and the range of service. The company is efficient and reliable.